Soumaya Museum, 4.5 Mb zip file, download
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú took part in the 15th Edition of
the Mexico Business Summit, which in 2017 addressed the
topic: Defining Mexico's options.
October 22-24, San Luis Potosí, SLP
- The Carlos Slim Foundation is donating more than
1,978 million pesos for reconstruction after the earthquakes
that hit Mexico last September, which added to the 395
million pesos donated by the public, provide a total
exceeding 2,373 million pesos.
October 2017. Mexico City.
- Governments, foundations, and society must work
together, declared Carlos Slim Helú in an interview after
the earthquakes of 7 and 19 September, which caused severe
damage in several states around the country
27 September, 2017. Mexico City.
- Carlos Slim Helú receives Humanitarian Award from
Andrea Bocelli Foundation.
September 8, 2017. Rome, Italy.
- “We are stronger together": Carlos Slim
January 27, 2017. Press
Conference. Mexico City.
- The Appeal of Conscience Foundation granted Mr.
Carlos Slim the Appeal of Conscience Award.
19 September 2016. New York,
- Public Education Secretariat and Carlos Slim
Foundation Present Train for Work Diplomas to Graduates in
September, 2016. Mexico City
- "Faro del Saber Morelos" TELMEX Digital Library was
inaugurated in Reforma Pensil, in Mexico City's Miguel
2016. Mexico City.
- Telcel Infinitum Digital Village Inaugurated in
Mexico City's Zocalo Square.
July, 2016. Mexico City.
- Presentation of 2016 Carlos Slim Health Awards.
30 June, 2016. Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helu was the keynote speaker in the
first Women’s Forum Mexico 2016.
April 27-28, 2016. Ciudad de México.
- Winners of the Carlos Slim Health Award
Mexico City, February 26,
- The Carlos Slim Foundation and the Government of
Honduras sign a cooperation agreement.
February 25, 2016. Mexico City.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation and SEDESOL sign a
Chihuahua, Mexico, January 27th, 2016.
- INBURSA Financial Group celebrates its 50th
November 30, 2015.
- During a trip to El Salvador and Peru, Mr. Carlos
Slim, former US President Bill Clinton and philanthropist
Frank Giustra visited local communities where the Carlos
Slim Foundation, the Clinton Foundation and the
Clinton-Giustra-Slim Enterprise Partnership develop
important health and employment initiatives, benefitting
- For third consecutive year, the Corporate Business
Reputation Monitor (Merco), recognizes Mr. Carlos Slim as
Mexico’s business leader with the best reputation in
August 4, 2015. Mexico
- The Carlos Slim Foundation signed an agreement with
Autism Speaks to provide online information and tools in
Spanish to treat autism.
York, NY and Mexico City, 27 July 2015.
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in the international
Conference on Inclusive Capitalism 2015, organized by the
Coalition for Inclusive Capitalism, a non-for profit
organization based in the United Kingdom.
June 26, 2105. London, United
- Mr. Carlos Slim opened the 2015 edition of Telcel -
Infinitum Digital Village, the largest digital inclusion
event in the world, held for third consecutive year in
Mexico City's Zocalo Plaza. He was accompanied by
representatives from the federal and city governments, as
well as by other distinguished
Mexico City, July
- Carlos Slim Foundation announces its partnership with
Elizabeth Holmes and her Theranos Company to promote the
proactive prevention of diabetes and related ailments
June 22, 2015. Mexico
- Outstanding professionals receive the 2015 Carlos
Slim Health Awards in recognition to their innovative
solutions in health matters in Latin America and the
June 20, 2015. Mexico
- Carlos Slim Foundation presented to Doug Ducey,
Governor of Arizona, its Latino Access initiative,
supporting the development of the Latino community in the
Mexico City, June
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in the Global Markets
Discovery Series Forum México, organized by the Business
Journal in Phoenix, Arizona.
April 22, 2015.
- Carlos Slim Foundation receives the International
Recognition Award 2015 for its contributions to improve
March 10, 2015.
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
- Mr. Carlos Slim receives the UNESCO Medal recognizing
his contribution to make sure that Information and
Communication Technologies benefit the population.
February 27, 2015. Paris,
- Forbes Magazine ranks Carlos Slim Foundation as
Mexico's most charitable business
January 22, 2015.
- Grupo Carso. Investment in Mexico for the year
- Jimmy Carter and Carlos Slim Announce New Partnership
to Help Eliminate Last Vestiges of River Blindness in the
November 13, 2014.
- Key note address by Mr. Carlos Slim Helu, during the
12th edition of the Mexico Business Summit, October 26,
26-28 October 2014, Mexico
Business Summit, Queretaro, Mexico.
- Carlos Slim and Best Buddies International Founder
Anthony K. Shriver Call on Employers to Pledge "I'M IN TO
HIRE" Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental
2014. New York City
- Carlos Slim Foundation Launches Free Online Site for
U.S. Latino Community.
- Mr. Carlos Slim's speech, entitled "Growing together.
State and Corporations", was delivered during the 20th
Plenary Session of the Montevideo Circle Foundation, where
Mr. Slim is Corporate Chairman.
July 17-18, 2014. Asuncion,
- Mr. Carlos Slim, accompanied by Dr. Javier Duarte
Ochoa, Governor of Veracruz and by Mrs. Petra Nemcova,
President and Founder of the Happy Hearts Fund, inaugurated
the "Juan Maldonado Pereda" elementary school, donated by
Grupo Carso and equipped by Happy Hearts.
July 9, 2014. Nuevo Veracruz, Mexico.
- Mr. Carlos Slim inaugurated the Inbursa's Aquarium,
the largest in Latin America. In the ribbon-cutting
ceremony, he was accompanied by the Mayor of Mexico City,
Dr. Miguel Ángel Mancera and by Inbursa's Aquarium
President, Mr. Alejandro Nasta.
Inbursa's Aquarium was
created with the mission to inspire passion for marine life
and to contribute to protect the marine world.
Plaza Carso, Mexico City, May
- The International Telecommunications Union granted
Mr. Carlos Slim the World Telecommunication and Information
Society Award 2014, in recognition to his leadership and
dedication in fostering ICT and broadband connectivity for
2014. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Mr. Carlos Slim inaugurated the Telcel – Infinitum
Digital Village, the largest digital inclusion event in the
world, and he announced the creation of the "Train for Work"
platform, which offers online courses to learn 20 different
trades and professions.
2014. Mexico City's Zocalo Square.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation grants the "2014 Carlos
Slim Health Awards" to individuals and institutions with
outstanding research credentials in the health sector.
Mexico City, March 26-27,
- Carlos Slim Foundation and Coursera seal an alliance
to provide free on-line world-class graduate studies in
Spanish to millions of individuals.
January 29, 2014. México
- Mr. Carlos Slim opened the TELMEX Veracruz Digital
Library, located in Plaza Nuevo Veracruz, a real estate
development built by Grupo CARSO, which was also inaugurated
on the same occasion. Mr. Slim was accompanied by Dr. Javier
Duarte de Ochoa, governor of Veracruz; Mr. Carlos Slim
Domit, president of Grupo CARSO, and Mr. Héctor Slim Seade,
director general of TELMEX.
December 2013. Plaza Nuevo Veracruz,
- Mr. Carlos Slim, Co-chairman of the ITU's Broadband
Commission participated in the 11th World
Telecommunication/ICT Indicators Symposium (WITS) organized
by ITU. He stated that "in order to achieve universal access
to information technologies, the private sector must invest,
innovate and guarantee coverage; the regulating authority
should, on its side, demand investment and coverage
commitments from operators".
December 4, 2013. Mexico
- Mexico's National Commission for the Knowledge and
Use of Biodiversity (CONABIO), the Carlos Slim Foundation
and TELCEL launched the "NaturaLista" digital platform,
innovative scientific tool that fosters knowledge about
nature and its preservation by means of social media.
December 2, 2013. Soumaya
Museum, Mexico City
- Carlos Slim Foundation launches the second phase of
the US-Mexico partnership in genomic research. Through a
grant amounting US$ 139 million dollars the Slim Initiative
on Genomic Medicine will Foster research aimed at improving
health conditions in Latin America and the world.
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA,
October 28, 2013.
- Carlos Slim Helú attended the opening ceremony of the
Telcel Theater, Latin America's best.
October 11th, 2013. Mexico
- The Opening of the first 10 kilometers of the Orient
Emitter Tunnel to improve the management of rain and
residual waters of the Valley of Mexico.
July 13, 2013. Ecatepec, Estado de
- Mr. Carlos Slim and Mr. Ángel Aguirre Rivero,
Governor of the state of Guerrero, did attend the initial
building work of the Acapulco's Macro-Tunnel, to be the
biggest in México.
June 8, 2013.
- Carlos Slim Foundation will donate $100 million to
the Global Polio Eradication Initiative´s (GPEI), which with
the Strategic Plan 2013-2018 has the objective to end this
disease in the world.
and 25, 2013. Abu Dhabi, United Arab
- The UNAM Foundation and the Carlos Slim Foundation
granted 753 scholarships to learn English to studies of the
School of Engineering of the National Autonomous University
of Mexico (UNAM, as per initials in
April 8, 2013. Ciudad
Universitaria (University City),
- Mr. Carlos Slim hosted the International
Telecommunications Union's (ITU) 7th Broadband Commission
for Digital Development Meeting. Mr. Slim is the
City, 17 March, 2013.
- Bill Gates y Carlos Slim support food-production
February 13, 2013.
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in the first Global
Education and Technology Forum at Twitter's San Francisco
January 31, 2013. San
- Alliance Between Fundación Carlos Slim and Khan
January 14, 2013.
- Petra Nemcova's Happy Hearts Fund Land of Dreams
Gala: Mexico with Special Guest Carlos Slim & Honoring
2012. New York, NY.
- Mr. Carlos Slim will fund Scholarships for Graduate
Students at the George Washington University. October
- Mr. Roberto Slim participated in the name of Mr.
Carlos Slim in the official launching of EDUCATION FIRST
initiative in the United Nations’ General Assembly in New
New York, USA, September
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in the International
Telecommunications Union's (ITU) 6th Broadband Commission
for Digital Development Meeting. Mr. Slim is the
September 23, 2012. New York
- The Montevideo Circle will hold its 18th Plenary
Session on the 26 and 27th July in Mexico
July 23, 2012. Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in Geneva Conferences,
organized by the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) and
the United Nations Institute for Training and Research
June 11, 2012. Geneva,
- Mexico City Major Mr. Marcelo Ebrard and Mr. Carlos
Slim, inaugurated both a underway via in Ejército
Nacional/Moliere streets, and Parque Lineal Ferrocarril de
Cuernavaca, first step.
2012, Mexico City
- The Broadband Commission for Digital Development met
in Ohrid, Macedonia. The meeting was conducted by Mr. Carlos
Slim and President of Rwanda, Mr. Paul
April 1-2, 2012. Ohrid,
- Carlos Slim Foundation Announces $3 Million Donation
to Broadband Efforts to Connect Latino Households.
May 31, 2012. San Diego,
- By inaugurating the exhibition 100 Newly-acquired
Artworks by Soumaya Museum Collection, the new Soumaya
Museum site in Plaza Carso celebrates its First
- Mr. Carlos Slim and
Mr. Angel Aguirre Rivero, governor of Guerrero, set up the
first round of Vuelta México TELMEX 2012, the most important
cycling tournament in México. Internationally-rated cyclists
March 18, 2012. Acapulco,
- Carlos Slim Foundation, Frisco Mining Company and the
Government of Chihuahua have donated 10,000 bicycles for the
benefit of schoolboys living far from school, plus 8,000
bedcovers for poor people in Sierra of Chihuahua. The
donation is part of “Ayúdame a llegar” program.
March 5, 2012. Morelos,
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú was awarded Red Cross Badge of
Honor and Merit due to his long-standing humanitarian
trajectory. The medal was imposed to him by Mr. Daniel Goñi
Díaz, president of Mexico's Red Cross, and Taderatu Konoe,
president of Red Cross International Federation and Red
2012. Mexico City.
- President Felipe Calderón Hinojosa and Mr. Carlos
Slim Helú made a joint oversight tour to Atotonilco's
waste-water treatment plant in the state of Hidalgo, Mexico.
This public-private financed plant is a huge infrastructure
work to solve water problems of Mexico City's metropolitan
area and to benefit Hidalgo's farmers and inhabitants as
February 21, 2012.
Atotonilco de Tula, Hidalgo.
- “Mexican Jaguar in XXI century: Conservation National
Strategy” VII symposium concluded. Carlos Slim Foundation,
World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and public and private Mexican
institutions are working together for Jaguar conservation in
December 1st 2011,
- América Móvil and Carlos Slim Foundation join World's
Forum Initiative (RED) to achieve a HIV/AIDS-Free generation
December 1st, 2011,
- Interview with Mr. Carlos Slim performed by Martyn
Warwick from ITU TelecomTV, in the Broad-Band Leadership
Summit, organized by the International Telecommunication
October 25, 2011.
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in ITU’s Broad-Band
Leadership Summit on industry’s current global
October 24, 2011,
- Mr. Carlos Slim donated Plaza Mariana to the
Archidiocese of Mexico City. The work triggers urban and
pastoral infrastructure around Basilica de
Guadalupe.October 12, 2011,
- The Hispanic Society of America awarded Carlos Slim
Foundation the “Sorolla Medal” by its arts and culture
October 6th, 2011, New
- Carlos Slim Foundation publishes the book Centro
Histórico. 10 años de revitalización (Historic Center.
Ten Years of Revival)
City, October 6th, 2011
- Claustro de Sor Juana University awarded Mr. Carlos
Slim the “Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz” Medal due to his effort
to revive Mexico City’s Historic Center
September 29, 2011, Mexico City
- Mr. Carlos Slim did participate in UNESCO’s
presentation of the Comprehensive Management Plan of Mexico
City’s Historic Center 2011-2016
Mexico City, August
- Carlos Slim congratulated the winners selected from
the football tournament De la Calle a la Cancha con
July, 21, 2011, Mexico
- Carlos Slim donates $2 million dollars to Best
2011, Miami, Florida.
- Cristina Fernández, President of Argentina, attended
Soumaya Museum in Plaza Carso for the second time
May, 29, 2011, Mexico
- The Soumaya Museum opened its doors to the general
public in its new building located at Carso Plaza.
March 29, 2011. Mexico City.
- Located at Carso Plaza, the new building housing the
Soumaya Museum was inaugurated. The modern facilities will
be home to the largest art collection in Mexico and Latin
March 1st, 2011. Mexico
- TELMEX celebrated the 20th anniversary of its
privatization in the new building housing the Soumaya
February 29, 2011.
- Mr. Carlos Slim announced that Grupo Carso will
invest 44.65 billion pesos in 2011, meaning a 13.6% increase
from the year before.
City, January 31st, 2011
- Mr. Carlos Slim inaugurated the first phase of the
construction of the Plaza Mariana, an architectural project
aimed at enlarging the atrium of the Basilica of Guadalupe,
while at the same time modernizing the surrounding urban
2010. Mexico City
- Grupo Financiero Inbursa celebrated its 45th
Anniversary in the new Soumaya Museum building, located in
Carso Plaza, in Mexico City.
December 1st, 2010. Mexico City
- The World Boxing Council did award Mr. Carlos Slim
the WBC Humanitarian Prize of the Year by his support to the
November 2, 2010.
Cancún, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
- A constellation of stars, The National Council for
Culture and the Arts, National Auditorium and Carlos Slim
Foundation in solidarity with Veracruz. 21 great artists
will participate in Amigos Unidos por la Música pop concert
Tuesday November 9, 19:30 pm National Auditorium.
- Fundación TELMEX bestows life pension to retired
August 26, 2010, México City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim took part as a guest of honor and
speaker in the act of acknowledgment to Emergent Leaders of
the Puerto Rico’s College of Engineers and Surveyors (CIAPR
in Spanish) during the Conference & Expo Meeting
CIAPR 2010 in Puerto Rico.
5, 2010. Puerto Rico.
- The high-level advisory group of the United Nations
Organization (UN), on energy and climate change, met today
in Mexico, to design new forms public-private partnership
and support the overall objectives of access to energy and
energy efficiency. Mr. Carlos Slim is a member of the UN
July 15th 2010.
- Bill Clinton, Carlos Slim and Frank Giustra, launch a
20 million Dollar Fund for Small and Medium-Size Firms
(SMFs) in Haiti.
June 17, 2010.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation, the Bill & Melinda
Gates Foundation, the government of Spain and the IDB,
launch the Mesoamerica Health 2015 Initiative. The aim of
this Initiative is to reduce the gap in health equality
faced by the poorest 20% of population living in Central
America and Southern Mexico.
14, 2010, Mexico, City.
- Grupo Carso Plan 2010
- United by Haiti informs that thanks to generous
contributions from 120,236 persons in help for Haiti
- Carlos Slim Foundation, National Auditorium and
Mexican artists, reunited by Aleks Syntek to participate in
the solidarity concert A Mexican Musical Hearth for Haití,
informs to the general public.
April 28, of 2010.
- About two thousand million pesos will be invested in
environment projects in priority areas of México. Investment
capital will come from an agreement between Semarnat, WWF
and Carlos Slim Foundation in support of environment
F., April 15, 2010
- The Carlos Slim Foundation doubles “Unidos por
Chalco” concert’s earnings in support of Chalco’s flood
February 28, 2010.
- Mexican pop artists, National Auditorium and Carlos
Slim Foundation joined efforts for putting into effect the
fund-raising concert A Mexican Musical Heart for Haiti, in
support for this Latin American nation.
February 17 of 2010.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation is jointly working with
UNICEF in supporting Haiti emergency crisis alleviation and
then to uphold reconstruction.
February 3th, 2010, México, City
- Carlos Slim Foundation communicates that donations
for Haiti’s victims through TELMEX and TELCEL will conclude
next January 31.
January 28 of
2010, Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú, Mr. Carlos Slim Domit, Telmex's
executive board chairman, Mr. Héctor Slim Seade, Telmex's
general director, and other top Telmex's executives
presented Plan "TELMEX 2010 - Technology-Innovation
México, D. F., January
- Carlos Slim Institute of Health start one of the
world’s largest research projects for public health in
México, on the genome of cancer, as well as on the genome of
diabetes and some variaTions of renal insuffiency.
January 19 of 2010, Mexico
- TELMEX and TELCEL announce phone numbers to make
donations for Haiti. The Carlos Slim Foundation will
contribute the equivalent to the public-contributed whole
México, D. F., January
- Mr. José Luis Luege, general director of National
Water Commission (Conagua), and Mr. Carlos Slim did sign a
contract for building the Atotonilco Waste Water Treatment
Plant past January 7, 2010. The plant is designed to be one
of the biggest hydraulic infrastructure works in
7, 2010, México City
- The Alliance WWF-Carlos Slim Foundation and
ConcentrArte project presented the book “Cuatro Ciénegas: La
mirada de sus niños”. An invitation to preserve the richness
of the valley, natural laboratory for the evolution of
December 9, 2009.
- Carlos Slim Foundation and Grameen Trust have
launched the Grameen Carso microfinancing program with 45
- Mr. Carlos Slim announced the establishment of
Fundación Inbursa, which will jointly operate with its
similar La Caixa of Barcelona. The foundation will begin to
operate with an one-thousand million pesos endowment, so
enhancing the social responsibility aims that Fundación
Carlos Slim has embraced since more than 20 years ago.
September 7, 2009. Mexico
- Carlos Slim attended the ceremony in which the
Federal District’s Legislative Assembly (ALDF) awarded
journalist Jacobo Zabludovsky with the Citizen’s Merit Medal
2009 in recognition of his professional career and his
personal contribution to life in Mexico
August 19, 2009. Mexico
- Carlos Slim signed as witness of honor the Commitment
to Liberty of Expression, Mexico 2009, convened by the
Foundation for the Liberty of Expression AC, (FUNDALEX). The
ceremony was held in the presence of the press, experts and
researchers from different disciplines.
August 17, 2009 Mexico City.
- The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Fundacion
Carlos Slim announced an initial investment of $100 million
dollars to support the conservation of biodiversity and
promote sustainable development in Mexico.
June 4, 2009. Cozumel, Quintana
- Mr. Enrique Peña Nieto, Governor of Estado de Mexico
and Mr. Carlos Slim Helu inaugurated the Sports Center
Ciudad Jardin TELMEX Bicentenario, an ambitious project of
ecological rescue that was built on the surface of an old
city dump known as Bordo de Xochiaca, in Nezahualcoyotl.
May 21st, 2009. Mexico
- Press release of eng. Carlos Slim Helú, Plan
- Eng. Carlos Slim Helu was nominated member of the
Executive Board of RAND Corporation (Research and
Development), a nonprofit research organization in the
United States, which offers assessment and solutions about
commerce and politics, among other aspects, throughout the
- Eng. Carlos Slim, along with Alex Rodriguez, baseball
player of the New York Yankees, visited the new "Sports
Center Ciudad Jardin TELMEX Bicentenario", the biggest
sports center in Mexico located in the old waste dump of the
Bordo de Xochiaca, in
- Eng. Carlos Slim participated in the opening ceremony
of the event Fideicomiso para el Impulso de la
Ingeniería organized by the Colegio de Ingenieros
Civiles de México (Civil Engineers College) in which
the new web site iNGENET was introduced, created and
sponsored by TELMEX.
City, November 20th, 2008.
- TELMEX, Claro and Museo Soumaya, from Fundación
Carlos Slim, presents in Lima, Peru, the exhibit Del mito al
Sueño. Rodin…. Dali.
October 7 ,
- Grameen Trust and Fundacion Carlos Slim announced an
alliance to create Grameen-Carso which will start operating
with resources of 45 million dollars for giving microcredits
to the neediest in different states with higher rate of
poverty in Mexico.
September 29, 2008,
- President Clinton, Carlos Slim Announce $50 Million
in New Projects in Mexico, Colombia, and
August 4, 2008, Mexico
- Engineer Carlos Slim announced the donation of
100,000 computers to more than 1,400 public schools in
Mexico, during an event in Casa TELMEX Centro
- Vivian Fernández de Torrijos, First Lady of Panama,
and Carlos Slim Helú, supported by the Instituto Carlos Slim
de la Salud, signed agreement to increase health
- Carlos Slim donate to Fundación ALAS, 110 million
dollars to support childhood.
- Carlos Slim, by Alvin Toffler, published on Builders
and Titans section, in the Time magazine.
April 25 of 2009
- Carlos Slim interview with Larry King. Ora. Tv
- A Conversation with Larry King and Carlos Slim, in
the Global Conference 2013 of the Milken Institute.
April 29, 2013. Los Angeles, CA.
- Interview to Mr. Carlos Slim Helú performed by
Salvador Camarena, published in El País news from Spain.
October 18, 2012.
- Interview with Mr. Carlos Slim performed by Caroline
Preston from The Chronicle of Philanthropy newspaper.
October 4, 2012.
- Interview to Mr. Carlos Slim Helú performed by
Bettina Bulgheroni for the argentine show "Puentes de
October 2012. México City.
- Interview to Mr. Carlos Slim Helú for Leaders
- Interview with Mr. Carlos Slim performed by Becky
Anderson, journalist of CNN.
November 14, 2011. Genève,
- Interview with Carlos Slim performed by Chiara Reid
October 26, 2011, Geneve,
- Larry King interview with Carlos Slim in CNN's Larry
December 3, 2010
- Maria Bartiromo, from CNBC interview with Eng. Carlos
Slim, as part of the New York Forum, designed to be a call
for action by the business community to reinvigorate the
economy and to find new confidence and credibility.
23, 2010. New York City.
- Interview with Carlos Slim performed by Maria
Bartiromo for the CNBC Network. First On CNBC.
- Interview realized to Carlos Slim
Helú, performed by Rogelio Cárdenas Estandía, published by
El Financiero Dialy. October 19, 2009.
- The State must intervene, Carlos Slim is awarded the
George Washington University President’s Medal. His
interview in PODER magazine. July 17, Washington, D.C.,
- Interview with Carlos Slim for CNBC, performed by
Michelle Caruso. October 30, 2008.
- Carlos Slim Helú interview by Eric Schmidt, Chairman
and CEO Google.
- Engineering Carlos Slim Helú´s interview performed by
Miguel Jiménez and Amanda Mars, published by El País Dialy,
on June 8, 2008.
- Carlos Slim Interview, Financier and Philanthropist,
Mexico’s Telecommunication Tycoon. December 2, 2007,
Washington, D.C . Published on
- Engineering Carlos Slim Helu's interview performed by
Estela Caparelli, published by Epoca Negócios magazine,
number 6, August 1th, 2007.
- Engineering Carlos Slim Helu's
interview performed by Francesc Relea, published by El Pais
magazine number 1607, Sunday July 15th, 2007.
This section includes statements made by Mr.
Carlos Slim Helú when basically he answers the most frequently
asked questions in the national and foreign media.
- What were Grupo Carso's initial
- Why did you and your group start buying so many
companies during the 1982 crisis?
- Could you give us some examples of the value of
companies at the beginning of the 80s?
- What do you think is the basis for the success of
it true that Carlos Salinas de Gortari sold Telmex to you in
exchange for a favor?
- Prior to 1990, before the privatization, why were
users forced to buy Telmex shares?
- How was Telmex privatized?
- What percentage gave the winner group Telmex's
control? Which was the initial stock scheme of the three
- Did all those stockholders meet to choose an
- During the privatization process, was there ever a
possibility to sell a division of the company, to sell a
- Was local service opened to competition prior to long
- Based on its Concession Title, may Telmex carry video
in its network?
- Did Telmex’s limitations to participate in Television
affect the price paid when it was
- What has been the evolution of Telmex's stock value
after the privatization?
- Were employees trained after the privatization and
during the modernization of Telmex?
- How are the public finances of the company kept
- How has competition impacted Telmex?
- How has competition been with Telefónica?
- Has Telmex tried to enter and compete in
- What has been the evolution of Telcel/América
- What were the market conditions when Telmex and
América Móvil’s internationalization begin’
- For example, what are the new technologies that are
being studied for rural telephony?
- Sometimes it is said that Telmex charges the highest
rates in the world, what do you think about this?
Telmex going to do something about the delay in enforcing
the Convergence Agreement?
- What does Telmex think about opening 100 per cent
fixed telephony to foreign investment? and also, what does
it think of the limitations imposed by the authorities on
the acquisition of cable TV companies, in Wi-Max, among
- What do you think about the conditions imposed by the
Federal Competition Commission, on Televisa so that it may
buy cable companies? and regarding Telmex, are you
considering entering an alliance with Televisa for the
- Could Telmex be ready for Tripleplay if it already
carries data through its network?
- What activities will IDEAL be
- Which are your telecommunications
- What are your plans for COMPUSA and what is your
opinion about this investment?
- What do you think about the México’s situation in the
immediate and medium term future?
- Exactly what would you ask the Congress of the Union
to consider in this tax reform in order to grow and generate
- What do you think about the banks’ showing very big
profits in their financial statements? And, what do you
think about the value of companies in the Mexican Stock
Exchange in 2006?
- What Foundations do you have?
- Which are the most important achievements of the
Fundación Carlos Slim, A.C. and the Telmex
- ¿Qué apoyos se están dando o se darán en
- What is the ALAS Project?
philanthropy, are you considering doing something similar to
what Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have done?
- What do you think about democracy?
- What happens when democracy does not respect what
comes before democracy?
- What is the importance of the generation bonus, which
occurs when the productive population is bigger in order to
leave behind lack of growth? How do you think it can be
- What is your opinion on the large amounts of informal
workers that leave the education system, called lost
generations, between 15 and 40 years old and what are their
- What is the solution for Mexico to grow and develop?
- What do you think about big public
security were your responsibility, what would you do?
- What do you think of free trade?
- What is your legacy to your sons?
- How do you feel as the richest man in a world with 50
million of poor people?
What is success for Carlos Slim?
- What should we do in Mexico, not to have all the
money that you have, but rather for the Mexican people to
have a better quality of life?
- Have you prepared teams to follow your path? Or have
you considered building a better Mexico or a better Latin
America for future generations?
- Why haven’t you made incursions in Mexican politics
and run as a presidential candidate?
Carlos Slim, in the Letter to
young people. June 1994 - (49. What is success for Carlos
49. What is success for Carlos
Success is not to do
things well or very well and obtain recognition from others;
it is not an external opinion, it is an internal well
being. It is harmony of the soul and its emotions that
needs love, family, friendship, authenticity, and
integrity. (Letter to Youth. June
Letter to young people. June 1994
Carlos Slim, in a letter
to the university community, gives advise to the most
outstanding students on what, in his opinión, are the most
important things in life. Mexico City, June 1994
I write to you this letter in
order to share some of my life experiences, hoping it will
contribute to your education, your way of thinking and living,
your emotional well-being, your sense of responsibility to
yourselves and to others, your maturity, and above all, to your
happiness, which should be the result of your daily existence.
You are privileged within
society due to your talents and efforts, and for the best
reason, your own worth.
Success is not about doing
things well or even very well, or being acknowledged by others.
It is not an external opinion, but rather an internal status.
It is the harmony between the soul and your emotions, which
requires love, family, friendship, authenticity and integrity.
To be as exceptional as you
are is a privilege, but it also entails many risks that can have
an impact on values that are much more important than
professional, economic, social or political “success”.
Emotional strength and stability are in the interior life, and
in avoiding emotions that erode the soul such as envy, jealousy,
arrogance, lust, selfishness, vengeance, greed and laziness,
which are a poison that is ingested little by little.
When you give, do not expect
to receive. “Fragrance clings to the hand that gives the rose,”
says a Chinese proverb. Do not allow negative feelings and
emotions to control your mind. Emotional harm does not come
from others; it is conceived and developed within ourselves.
Do not mix up your values or
betray your principles. Life’s road is very long, but it is
traveled fast. Live the present intensely and fully, do not let
the past be a burden, and let the future be an incentive. Each
person forges his or her own destiny and it may influence
reality. Do not ignore it.
Live with positive feelings
and emotions such as love, friendship, loyalty, courage, joy,
good humor, enthusiasm, peace, serenity, patience, trust,
tolerance, prudence and responsibility. Do not allow their
opposites to invade your soul, may they pass quickly from your
mind, do not allow them to stay there, banish them. You will
make mistakes many times, it is normal and human; but try to
make them small, then accept, correct and forget them. Do not be
obsessed by them; heaven and hell are within us. What is most
valuable in life does not cost anything but is very precious:
love, friendship, nature and what man has been able to achieve
with it; the forms, colors, sounds, smells that we perceive with
our senses can only be appreciated when we are emotionally
Live without fear and guilt;
fear is the worst feeling men can have, it weakens them,
inhibits action and depresses them. Guilt is a tremendous
burden in our lives, the way we think and act. Guilt and fear
make the present difficult and obstruct the future. To fight
them, let us have good sense and accept ourselves as we are,
with our realities, our merits and our sorrows.
Staying occupied displaces
preoccupation and problems, and when we face our problems, they
disappear. Thus, they make us stronger every day. We should
learn from failure, and successes should be silent incentives.
Act always as your conscience dictates, because it never lies.
Fear and guilt will then be minimal. Do not block yourself in,
do not ruin your life, live it with intelligence, with soul and
senses aware and on the alert; get to know their manifestations
and train yourselves to appreciate and enjoy life.
Work well done is not only a
responsibility to yourselves and society; it is also an
At the end we depart with
nothing, we leave behind only our work, family and friends, and,
perhaps, a positive influence which we have planted.
My very best wishes,
Carlos Slim Helú