The Foundation was incorporated in 1986 as Asociación Carso A.C., changed its name in February 2006 to Fundación Carso, A.C. In May 24, to Fundación Carlos Slim, with the mission to establish a range of non-lucrative projects in education, health, justice and personal and community development by contributing human and financial resources to equip Mexican society with the necessary tools to succeed professionally and socially. Fundación Carlos Slim, has an endowment of US$3.5 billion.
The objectives of the organization have been strengthened and developed over time, based primarily on the following principles:
- Promote education, sports, cultural and artistic activities; provide aid to hospitals, orphanages, disadvantaged people and social welfare institutions.
Establish good faith as a business standard and in the professions; foster appreciation of all civil service occupations and respect for our own service to society.
Grant scholarships to students, professionals, teachers and emissaries of culture at large, in order to begin, continue and apply their learning to all fields of knowledge at domestic and international centers of higher education.
Assist in opening, promoting, fostering, sponsoring, subsidizing, funding and supporting libraries, newspaper archives, museums and exhibits.
- Create and support printers and publishing companies that publish bulletins, books and all kinds of printed works.
- Organize programs to promote, foster, sponsor and subsidize seminars, presentations, meetings and conferences with renowned pedagogical and scientific experts.
- Acquire or build all types of urban property and real estate in order to achieve the desired goals.
The objective of this foundation is the recognition of notable Mexicans and of the national identity, promoting a love for our country, social integration, commitment to future generations, the creation of better job opportunities and the possibility of sharing and promoting family values. These represent the challenges and enduring goals of the Foundations daily activities.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation is donating more than 1,978 million pesos for reconstruction after the earthquakes that hit Mexico last September, which added to the 395 million pesos donated by the public, provide a total exceeding 2,373 million pesos. 10 October 2017. Mexico City.
- Governments, foundations, and society must work together, declared Carlos Slim Helú in an interview after the earthquakes of 7 and 19 September, which caused severe damage in several states around the country. 27 September, 2017. Mexico City.
- Carlos Slim Helú receives Humanitarian Award from Andrea Bocelli Foundation. September 8, 2017. Rome, Italy.
- The Appeal of Conscience Foundation granted Mr. Carlos Slim the Appeal of Conscience Award. 19 September 2016. New York, USA.
- Public Education Secretariat and Carlos Slim Foundation Present Train for Work Diplomas to Graduates in Information Technology. 5 September, 2016. Mexico City.
- "Faro del Saber Morelos" TELMEX Digital Library was inaugurated in Reforma Pensil, in Mexico City's Miguel Hidalgo Delegation. 16 August, 2016. Mexico City.
- Telcel Infinitum Digital Village Inaugurated in Mexico City's Zocalo Square. 15 July, 2016. Mexico City.
- Presentation of 2016 Carlos Slim Health Awards. 30 June, 2016. Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim presented the App-prende digital platform, which offers educational, cultural, and job training content free of charge to teachers, students, parents, and the general public through the aprende.org website. 15 June, 2016. Mexico City.
- Winners of the Carlos Slim Health Award 2016. Mexico City, February 26, 2016.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation and the Government of Honduras sign a cooperation agreement. February 25, 2016. Mexico City.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation and SEDESOL sign a partnership agreement. Guachochi, Chihuahua, Mexico, January 27th, 2016.
- During a trip to El Salvador and Peru, Mr. Carlos Slim, former US President Bill Clinton and philanthropist Frank Giustra visited local communities where the Carlos Slim Foundation, the Clinton Foundation and the Clinton-Giustra-Slim Enterprise Partnership develop important health and employment initiatives, benefitting vulnerable populations. 9-12 November 2015.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation signed an agreement with Autism Speaks to provide online information and tools in Spanish to treat autism. New York, NY and Mexico City, 27 July 2015.
- Carlos Slim Foundation announces its partnership with Elizabeth Holmes and her Theranos Company to promote the proactive prevention of diabetes and related ailments.
June 22, 2015. Mexico City.
- Outstanding professionals receive the 2015 Carlos Slim Health Awards in recognition to their innovative solutions in health matters in Latin America and the Caribbean.
June 20, 2015. Mexico City.
- Carlos Slim Foundation presented to Doug Ducey, Governor of Arizona, its Latino Access initiative, supporting the development of the Latino community in the United States.
Mexico City, June 18, 2015.
- Forbes Magazine ranks Carlos Slim Foundation as Mexico's most charitable business foundation.
January 22, 2015.
- Jimmy Carter and Carlos Slim Announce New Partnership to Help Eliminate Last Vestiges of River Blindness in the Americas.
November 13, 2014. Mexico City.
- Carlos Slim and Best Buddies International Founder Anthony K. Shriver Call on Employers to Pledge "I'M IN TO HIRE" Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD).
October 7, 2014. New York City.
- Carlos Slim Foundation Launches Free Online Site for U.S. Latino Community.
August 12, 2014.
- Mr. Carlos Slim's speech, entitled "Growing together. State and Corporations", was delivered during the 20th Plenary Session of the Montevideo Circle Foundation, where Mr. Slim is Corporate Chairman. July 17-18, 2014. Asuncion, Paraguay.
- Mr. Carlos Slim, accompanied by Dr. Javier Duarte Ochoa, Governor of Veracruz and by Mrs. Petra Nemcova, President and Founder of the Happy Hearts Fund, inaugurated the "Juan Maldonado Pereda" elementary school, donated by Grupo Carso and equipped by Happy Hearts.
July 9, 2014. Nuevo Veracruz, Mexico.
- Mr. Carlos Slim inaugurated the Inbursa’s Aquarium, the largest in Latin America. In the ribbon-cutting ceremony, he was accompanied by the Mayor of Mexico City, Dr. Miguel Ángel Mancera and by Inbursa’s Aquarium President, Mr. Alejandro Nasta.
Inbursa’s Aquarium was created with the mission to inspire passion for marine life and to contribute to protect the marine world. Plaza Carso, Mexico City, May 30, 2014.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation grants the "2014 Carlos Slim Health Awards" to individuals and institutions with outstanding research credentials in the health sector.
Mexico City, March 26-27, 2014.
- Carlos Slim Foundation and Coursera seal an alliance to provide free on-line world-class graduate studies in Spanish to millions of individuals. January 29, 2014. México City.
- Mexico's National Commission for the Knowledge and Use of Biodiversity (CONABIO), the Carlos Slim Foundation and TELCEL launched the "NaturaLista" digital platform, innovative scientific tool that fosters knowledge about nature and its preservation by means of social media.
December 2, 2013. Soumaya Museum, Mexico City.
- Carlos Slim Foundation launches the second phase of the US-Mexico partnership in genomic research. Through a grant amounting US$ 139 million dollars the Slim Initiative on Genomic Medicine will Foster research aimed at improving health conditions in Latin America and the world.
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, October 28, 2013.
- Fifth anniversary of the WWF - Carlos Slim Foundation – SEMARNAT partnership supporting biodiversity conservation and sustainable development in Mexico. October 2, 2013. Mexico City.
- Carlos Slim Foundation will donate $100 million to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative´s (GPEI), which with the Strategic Plan 2013-2018 has the objective to end this disease in the world. April 24 and 25, 2013. Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- The UNAM Foundation and the Carlos Slim Foundation granted 753 scholarships to learn English to studies of the School of Engineering of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM, as per initials in Spanish). April 8, 2013. Ciudad Universitaria (University City), México.
- Bill Gates y Carlos Slim support food-production research. February 13, 2013. Texcoco, México.
- Mr. Carlos Slim participated in the first Global Education and Technology Forum at Twitter's San Francisco offices.
January 31, 2013. San Francisco, CA.
- Alliance Between Fundación Carlos Slim and Khan Academy.
January 14, 2013. Mexico, City.
- Petra Nemcova's Happy Hearts Fund Land of Dreams Gala: Mexico with Special Guest Carlos Slim & Honoring Howard Buffett.
December 12, 2012. New York, NY.
- Mr. Carlos Slim will fund Scholarships for Graduate Students at the George Washington University.
October 2012. Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
- Mr. Roberto Slim participated in the name of Mr. Carlos Slim in the official launching of EDUCATION FIRST initiative in the United Nations’ General Assembly in New York.
New York, USA, September 26, 2012.
- Carlos Slim was awarded for his Leadership in Philanthropy by President Bill Clinton, at the Sixth Annual Clinton Global Citizen Awards.
September 24, 2012. Nueva York, NY.
- Carlos Slim Foundation Announces $3 Million Donation to Broadband Efforts to Connect Latino Households. May 31, 2012. San Diego, California .
- Carlos Slim Foundation, Frisco Mining Company and the Government of Chihuahua have donated 10,000 bicycles for the benefit of schoolboys living far from school, plus 8,000 bedcovers for poor people in Sierra of Chihuahua. The donation is part of “Ayúdame a llegar” program. March 5, 2012. Morelos, Chih.
- “Mexican Jaguar in XXI century: Conservation National Strategy” VII symposium concluded. Carlos Slim Foundation, World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and public and private Mexican institutions are working together for Jaguar conservation in Mexico. December 1st 2011, Cuernavaca, Morelos.
- América Móvil and Carlos Slim Foundation join World's Forum Initiative (RED) to achieve a HIV/AIDS-Free generation by 2015. December 1st, 2011, Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim donated Plaza Mariana to the Archidiocese of Mexico City. The work triggers urban and pastoral infrastructure around Basilica de Guadalupe. October 12, 2011, Mexico City.
- The Hispanic Society of America awarded Carlos Slim Foundation the “Sorolla Medal” by its arts and culture support.
October 6th, 2011, New York, NY.
- Carlos Slim Foundation publishes the book Centro Histórico. 10 años de revitalización (Historic Center. Ten Years of Revival) Mexico City, October 6th, 2011
- Carlos Slim donates $2 million dollars to Best Buddies International. July, 19, 2011, Miami, Florida.
- Mr. Carlos Slim inaugurated the first phase of the construction of the Plaza Mariana, an architectural project aimed at enlarging the atrium of the Basilica of Guadalupe, while at the same time modernizing the surrounding urban infrastructure. December 9, 2010. Mexico City.
- A constellation of stars, The National Council for Culture and the Arts, National Auditorium and Carlos Slim Foundation in solidarity with Veracruz. 21 great artists will participate in Amigos Unidos por la Música pop concert Tuesday November 9, 19:30 pm National Auditorium. Octuber 20, 2010.
- With a lecture about "Philanthropy in Mexico" Mr. Carlos Slim Helú participated in the 1st Conference Innovating Tijuana 2010. October 19, 2010, Tijuana, BC.
- The high-level advisory group of the United Nations Organization (UN), on energy and climate change, met today in Mexico, to design new forms public-private partnership and support the overall objectives of access to energy and energy efficiency. Mr. Carlos Slim is a member of the UN Advisory Group. Mexico City, July 15th 2010.
- Bill Clinton, Carlos Slim and Frank Giustra, launch a 20 million Dollar Fund for Small and Medium-Size Firms (SMFs) in Haiti. June 2010. Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the government of Spain and the IDB, launch the Mesoamerica Health 2015 Initiative. The aim of this Initiative is to reduce the gap in health equality faced by the poorest 20% of population living in Central America and Southern Mexico. June 14, 2010, Mexico, City.
- United by Haiti informs to the public about the generous contributions in help for Haiti. May 11, 2010.
- Carlos Slim Foundation, National Auditorium and Mexican artists, reunited by Aleks Syntek to participate in the solidarity concert A Mexican Musical Hearth for Haiti, informs to the general public. April 28, of 2010.
- Earth Hour - Switch off. March 27, 2010.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation doubles Unidos por Chalco concerts earnings in support of Chalcos flood victims.
February 28, 2010.
In February, the Carlos Slim Foundation is jointly working with UNICEF in supporting Haiti emergency crisis alleviation and then to uphold reconstruction.
- Mexican artists, National Auditorium and Carlos Slim Foundation are organizing a solidarity concert with Haiti, next February 17, 20:30 PM.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation informs that coming sunday January 31, finish the donation by TELMEX and TELCEL for Haiti earthquake victims.
- The Carlos Slim Foundation invite to all the Mexicans to make donations via TELMEX, TELCEL and Inbursa to support Haiti earthquake victims. Carlos Slim Foundation has agreed to double the income. January 15, 2010.
- The Alliance WWF-Carlos Slim Foundation and ConcentrArte project presented the book "Cuatro Cinegas: La mirada de sus niños". An invitation to preserve the richness of the valley, natural laboratory for the evolution of species. December 9, 2009. Mexico City.
- The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Fundación Carlos Slim announced an initial investment of $100 million dollars to support the conservation of biodiversity and promote sustainable development in Mexico. June 4, 2009.
- Eng. Carlos Slim Helú was nominated member of the Executive Board of RAND Corporation (Research and Development), a nonprofit research organization in the United States, which offers assessment and solutions about commerce and politics, among other aspects, throughout the world. December 16, 2008.
- Grameen Trust and Fundacion Carlos Slim announced an Alliance to create Grameen-Carso, which will afford with micro credits to the neediest in Mexico with an initial asset of about 45 million dollars. September 29, 2008.
- President William Clinton and Carlos Slim Announce New Investment Projects in Mexico, Colombia, and Peru for more than $50 Million dollars. August 4, 2008.
- Carlos Slim Foundation and TELMEX announced the donation of 100,000 computers to more than 1,400 public schools in Mexico. July 23, 2008.
We are a non-profit organization created by Carlos Slim Foundation.
Our aim is to have healthy people in the present day and in the future, as it is essential for peoples welfare and because it contributes to the economical development, the social cohesion, and the security.
We are giving our best to maintain and fortify health by means of the scientific knowledge, as well as the correct use of technological resources to improve quality of life.
We want to get joined with people with social consciousness in order to create alliances with those who are committed with our same aim.
We are constantly evaluating our actions as a way to learn and better ourselves.
- Educational Communication
- En Línea con la salud
- Home and Health
- Mesoamerican Movement of Public Health
- Slim Movement Genomic Medicine
- Social Investment
- Health Observatory
- Vive sano
- Carlos Slim Health 2010 Awards, Third Edition.
- Carlos Slim Institute of Health start this January 19 of 2010, one of the worlds largest research projects for public health in México on the genome of cancer, as well as on the genome of diabetes and some variations of renal insuffiency.
- Carlos Slim Health Awards 2009.
- Mrs. Vivan Fernández de Torrijos, First Lady of Panama and Engineer Carlos Slim Helú,
signed today an agreement to apply maternal and infant health programs in that
country, through the Carlos Slim Institute of Health
- Carso Awards for Health, Nutrition and Environment 2008 (now named Carlos Slim Health Awards)
Fundación Telmex, formerly Asociación Carso, A.C., is a non-lucrative philanthropic organization established in 1996 whose objective is to support ongoing programs in education, health, culture, justice and the social well-being of Mexico, which Asociación Carso has promoted since 1986 with the aim of effectively contributing to the eradication of extreme poverty and improving the quality of life of the Mexican population. Fundación Telmex has an endowment of more than US$1.5 billion.
To achieve the above, the organization has implemented the following programs related to teaching, sports, health, arts and culture in general, helping the most vulnerable groups in our country to grow and develop.
- Natural Disasters
- Culture and Human Development
- Support to Sports
The key accomplishments of this organization are as follows:
Results from 1996 - 2015
1996 - 2015
Bicycles (Programa Ayúdame a Llegar)*
HEALTH AND NUTRITION
Cirugía Extramuros (Surgery outside the hospital walls)
1 kg Bags of Nutritious Candy
Best Buddies Program (participants)
AID IN NATURAL DISASTERS
Tons of humanitarian aid
Litters of treated drinking water
SUPPORT TO SPORTS
From the Street to the Field with Telmex (players)
Telmex Soccer Cup (players)
* In partnership with State governments and other institutions
In December 2005, Fundación Telmex was recognized as Foundation of the Year for its philanthropic work by the Mexico City chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
On November 22, 2006, Arturo Elías Ayub, Executive Director of Fundación Telmex, received the José Vasconcelos Award from Dr. Reyes Tamez Guerra, Secretary of Public Education at the time; the award is granted by that government office to institutions committed to education in Mexico.
On November the 20, 2007, Felipe Calderón Hinojosa, President of Mexico, granted Fundación Telmex with the 2007 Sports National Award, for its support and commitment to the sports in Mexico, as well as with the professional and non professional sports men and women, the sports people with special abilities and the ones that practice sports to improve its health and recreate its lives.
Last October 2007, Telmex Soccer Cup (Amateur Football) obtained a Guinness Record as the non professional tournament with the largest number of competitors around the world, as it reunited 148 thousand 714 players in 8 thousand 600 teams throughout the Mexican territory.
In 2008, for second consecutive year Fundación TELMEX was granted with two awards: the Sports National Award, for its commitment with the sports in Mexico and the Guiness Record for Copa TELMEX, as the biggest amateur tournament around the world.
In 2015, Telmex Soccer Cup obtained for the 9th consecutive year the Guinness Record as the biggest Amateur Soccer Tournament in the World with the participation of 267,581 players in 15,757 teams.
During 2007, TELMEX made the Casa TELMEX project, with the firm conviction that education is an essential component of a free, healthy, just and prosperous society, and that providing children and youth of today the possibility of acquiring useful skills, they will increase its chances of improving their conditions and quality of life in the short and long term.
Casa TELMEX is an ambitious project in favor of education in our country whose primary objective is to contribute actively in the development of digital literacy that requires the childhood and youth Mexican, providing educational technologies innovative to students from four to 18 years of age, and giving support to teachers and parents, and build together learning scenarios that complement the education in schools, in accordance with the digital society.
Casa TELMEX focuses on a completely free education, on three educational points:
- Knowledge. - Cognitive skills, primarily related to the reasoning, the acquisition of verbal, numerical, and computing languages.
- Values. - Social skills, mainly related to the capacity of cooperation with other and the creation of confidence in the other ones, communication skills and respect for the rights of others.
- Beauty.-The ability to recognize and/or to express through an aesthetic language.
The Educational Platform of Casa TELMEX, is composed by 63 main workshops, of which can be loosen up more than 1.000 educational modules.
On January 31st 2008 the first Casa TELMEX opened its doors in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas.
On January 2013, there are 13 Casas TELMEX working in: Naucalpan y Nezahualcóyotl in Estado de México; Chiapas; Centro Histórico, Cuemanco and Cuicuilco in México City; Tapachula and Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas; Islas Marías; Saltillo, Coahuila; Mérida, Yucatán; Campeche, Campeche; Cuautla, Morelos; and Culiacán, Sinaloa.
The Sports Center Ciudad Jardín TELMEX Bicentenario is built on what was known as the Bordo de Xochiaca city dump, at the east of Mexico City in the municipality known as Netzahualcóyotl in a site of about 600 thousand square meters. This huge project is considered an extraordinary environmental effort, it was built over an area with thousands tons of waste that was generating a severe pollution problem; the trash was compressed and covered with several layers of soil which helps to eliminate noxious fauna, reduce suspended bacteria and microorganisms and it will combat the pollution of aquifer because of decomposed organic waste.
The vast facilities of this sports center offers the people who lives in the area a way to practice sports without charge as it has 25 soccer fields, four tennis courts, four basketball courts, four volleyball courts, two football fields and two baseball fields. Furthermore, it has a gym, fronton, a special room for aerobics, cycle track, a stadium with room for 3, 650 people, four lagoons that are supposed to collect 5 million liters of water per year, parkland areas, playgrounds, parking areas and helipad.
- On May 21st of 2009, Mr. Enrique Peña Nieto, Governor of Estado de México and Mr. Carlos Slim Helú inaugurated the Sports Center Ciudad Jardin TELMEX Bicentenario, an ambitious project of ecological rescue that was built on the surface of an old city dump known as Bordo de Xochiaca, in Nezahualcóyotl.
- On November 30 of 2008, Eng. Carlos Slim, along with Alex Rodríguez, baseball player of the New York Yankees, visited the new Sports Center Ciudad Jardín TELMEX Bicentenario, the biggest sports center in Mexico located in the old waste dump of the Bordo de Xochiaca, in Nezahualcóyotl.
Mexico's City Historic Center Foundation is a Carlos Slim's Foundation non-profit association. It was instituted in year 2002 by the economic support of TELMEX Foundation. Since its onset, Mexico's City Historic Center Foundation has worked to improve Historic Center's dwellers living conditions, being supported by Historic Center Real State, TELMEX Foundation, and Carlos Slim Foundation. These actions have created many jobs and improved public space by tightening security, improving health-care services, and encouraging sound cultural activities. The foundation currently advances the following programs: economic, community and social development, and cultural activities.
- Carlos Slim Foundation publishes the book Centro Histórico. 10 años de revitalización (Historic Center. Ten Years of Revival).
- Last September 10th 2008 Engineer Carlos Slim Helú participated in the seminar: El Centro Histórico en la Ciudad de Mexico: Ordenamiento, Revitalización y Conservación (The Historical Centre in Mexico: Ordering, Revitalization and Preservation. During his conference he explained that it have been invested 20,000 million Mexican pesos in this area, which have allowed the creation of approximately 8.500 jobs only in enterprises of Grupo Carso. He also noted that as part of the program to revitalize the centre of the city, it has been developed a comprehensive plan to improve the social and economical level of their inhabitants, through actions that allow to raise the conditions of health, education and employment.
For the 15th consecutive year, TELMEX is recognized as a Socially Responsible Corporation, by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy (CEMEFI).
In 2016, and for the fifteenth consecutive year, TELMEX has been awarded the ESR Label (Socially Responsible Corporation for its Spanish acronym) by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy (CEMEFI). The award recognizes TELMEX daily compliance of the strategic lines evaluated by CEMEFI: Ethics and Corporate Governance, Corporate Quality of Life, Relations and Commitment with Community Development, as well as Environmental Protection.
Being a socially responsible corporation has always been part of the organizational culture of TELMEX and it is the result of the corporate values under which the company operates: Work, Growth, Commitment, Social Responsibility and Austerity.
TELMEX is committed to continue connecting Mexico with the best technological platform, offering its clients the best products and services, fostering innovation in the telecommunications industry as well as in information technologies and communications, thus benefiting a growing number of Mexican nationals.
Soumaya Museum’s pursuit is to share its art collection with both Mexican and foreign publics for knowledge and aesthetical enjoyment, while supporting conservation and research.
Soumaya Museum is a space for coming across with the arts. Its collection includes Auguste Rodin’s sculptures, the most valuable collection outside France, and many art works by classical and modern, impressionist and avant-garde European artists. A tour by Soumaya Museum exposes the visitors to the artistic sensibility of El Greco, Murillo, Rubens, Cranach, Brueghel, Tiziano, Tintoretto, Van Gogh, Toulouse-Lautrec, Rouault, Matisse, Picasso, Mir, and Dal, among others.
Mexican art collections include Mesoamerican, vice regal, independent, nationalist and avant-garde artwork pieces. Religious paintings by José de Páez, Miguel Cabrera, and Juan Correa; portraits by José Agustín Arrieta, Hermenegildo Bustos, José María Estrada; landscape paintings by European artists like Rugendas, Löhr, Egerton, Chapman; great Mexican paintings by Rivera, Siqueiros, Orozco, and Tamayo, and Mexican avant-garde artworks by Soriano, Cuevas, and Toledo, all of them enriching the fecund artistic diversity of that region.
Soumaya Museum also includes applied arts from diverse epochs: textiles, fashion, photography, ceramics, coins, miniature portraits, and reliquaries, all of them contributing to enlarge our own vision of past-life forms.
Soumaya Museum runs permanent, temporary, and itinerant exhibitions, teaching courses, conferences, workshops, activities, publications and services, all of them aimed to attract diverse publics.
Soumaya Museum is an endeavor of Carlos Slim Foundation.
- Mr. Carlos Slim received the Gibran National Committee Award for his contribution to spreading the knowledge of the poet, philosopher and painter Gibran Khalil Gibran.
Beirut, Lebanon, September 27, 2012.
- By inaugurating the exhibition 100 Newly-acquired Artworks by Soumaya Museum Collection, the new Soumaya Museum site in Plaza Carso celebrates its First Anniversary. March 29, 2012.
- The Soumaya Museum was awarded the 2011 Public Image National Prize in culture category because of its impressive environmental architecture and its art collection embracing thirty centuries of art work. The prize was awarded in the ambiance of the Public Image International Congress “Global Connection”, being organized by the Public Image College on October 7, 2011 in Mexico City.
The Hispanic Society of America awarded Carlos Slim Foundation the "Sorolla Medal" by its arts and culture support
October 6th, 2011, New York, NY.
- The Soumaya Museum opened its doors to the general public in its new building located at Carso Plaza.
March 29, 2011. Mexico City.
- Located at Carso Plaza, the new building housing the Soumaya Museum was inaugurated. The modern facilities will be home to the largest art collection in Mexico and Latin America.
March 1st, 2011. Mexico City.
- TELMEX, Claro and Museo Soumaya, from Fundación Carlos Slim, presents in Lima, Peru, the exhibit Del mito al Sueño. Rodin.. Dali.
|The Centro de Estudios de Historia de México Carso (Center for the Study of Mexican History) was created in 1965 by CONDUMEX to help research and address the social and cultural concerns the founders and managers of the company had from the start. The Center has 800,000 items among its books and manuscripts, as well as five rooms to house the most precious collections.
In an effort to do something for Mexico, the Asociación de Superación por México (Association for the Improvement of Mexico) was born in 1980.
Thus, the ASUME, human development program began. It is based on three issues:
- Constant improvement. There are no limits or excuses to trying to be a little bit better today than yesterday.
- Competition. You should compete with yourself and not with others because if I compare myself to others, either I get a complex or I do not improve.
- Balanced improvement: in each one of the following eight areas (physical, economic, aesthetic, intellectual, emotional, social, moral and spiritual), and set goals for each one.
Our goal: Be better yourself so that you can improve your environment.
Goal: Change society by changing man.
Through on-going improvement ASUME A.C., founded on the identification and acting with values, tries to educate men and women of peace, who are responsible, happy and committed with themselves and their families, their work and Mexico.
With an initial endowment of US$4 billion, Fundación Carlos Slim is extending its work to Latin America through projects that have succeeded to benefit thousands of people in Mexico.
Mesoamerica has a lot of work to do in public health, mostly in populations living in extreme poverty. With these objectives, the Carlos Slim Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, collaborate to improve Mesoamrica Health 2015.
The Initiative also seeks to reduce chronic malnutrition and the lack of micronutrients in infants and pregnant women. It will support critical interventions to improve childbirth and foster conditions to allow better growth perspectives in the future. The Initiative aims to have a direct impact in poor communities regarding the coverage and quality of child vaccination, pre and post-natal care and access to family planning, among other services.
Mesoamrica Health 2015 is based on an operational model that impacts health supply of the countries, improving the coverage and quality of the human resources and basic health services, promoting innovative healthier behaviors sustainable for the future.
Aid to Fight Poverty.
In New York City, on June 2007, Mr. Carlos Slim Helú announced his commitment to contribute 100 million U.S. Dollars to the initiative of former president of the United States, William Clinton, to fight poverty in Latin America. Mr. Slim participates in this initiative jointly with the former president of the United States and the Canadian businessman, Frank Giustra.
Support to Digital Education
In 2007 the Fundación Carlos Slim and the Telmex Foundation will donate 250 thousand laptop computers to public schools, libraries and Telmex's education centers. The estimated investment of this donation is 70 million dollars.
Plans are to donate in 2008 up to one million laptop computers in Mexico. The main objective of this program is to bring digital education to children. It can also be extended to other Latin American countries.
The challenge is digital education, said Mr. Carlos Slim Helú. Therefore it s expected that libraries may lend children books and also a laptop computer to take home for one or two weeks and thus generate a multiplying effect.
The donation of these computers is part of Mr. Slim's objective to contribute to improve the situation of the country and the regions by promoting health, nutrition, education and employment.
The above is part of the project that also includes the construction of Telmex Houses in marginal areas of Mexico. They will have a library and a study room. Expectations are that these facilities will become digital education centers for 4 to 18 year-old children and youngs. The initial goal is to build at least 100 homes in the next four years.
(Latin Amrica in Solidarity Action)
The ALAS Foundation (Latin America in Solidarity Action) is a non-profit organization formed by artists, businessmen and prominent members of the civil society engaged in improving the health and education of Latin American children by creating awareness and promoting social programs. One of the founders of this ambicious proyect is Carlos Slim Helú, who in may 2008, reaffirms its commitment to cooperate with the cause of ALAS, with a donation of $110 million to support programs for children.
- Carlos Slim Helú reaffirms its commitment to cooperate with the cause of ALAS, with a donation of $110 million to support programs for children.